Free documentation licenses

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Wed Nov 29 22:34:27 UTC 2000

On Wednesday 29 November 2000 07:57 am, Rick Moen wrote:
> begin John Cowan quotation:
> > Well, that's not the whole truth either.  I could take a bunch of
> > BSD modules, create a derivative work, and license the result under
> > the GPL.  Or under a proprietary license, for that matter.
>
> No, not exactly (unless you _own copyright_ on those modules).  I don't
> think you're quite understanding my point:

I think what John meant was similar to to following analogy: You are a book
publisher and wish to release an anthology. All of the short stories you wish
to include are licensed under the BSD license. You can release the anthology
under the GPL license. A reader of your anthology cannot redistribute it
under any terms except the GPL. However, a reader can redistribute the
individual stories under the terms of the BSD license.

--
David Johnson