Free documentation licenses

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Nov 29 19:04:05 UTC 2000

Tom Hull wrote:

> Scott Maxwell's "Linux Core Kernel Commentary" seems to argue otherwise.
> This book (published by Coriolis) contains a very large extract of the
> Linux source code (license GPL), followed by a short commentary (copyright,
> all rights reserved). I don't know what Coriolis's thinking was, but I can
> imagine two plausible justifications:
>
>  1) The book itself is an aggregation.

I think that's correct.  So the commentary is copyright, and there is a
(not very useful) compilation copyright on the book.

> Maxwell's quotation is 39338 lines of code.

I was actually thinking of _Linux Programming White Papers_, which clearly
makes fair use of the kernel source.  I think if Maxwell's commentary
were inline, there wouldn't be any question that the result was a
derivative work.

--
There is / one art                   || John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>
no more / no less                    || http://www.reutershealth.com