Free documentation licenses

Ben Tilly ben_tilly at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 04:09:27 UTC 2000

Karsten Self wrote:

>on Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 05:26:20PM -0500, John Cowan
>(jcowan at reutershealth.com) wrote:
> > kmself at ix.netcom.com wrote:
[...]
>The way I read 3(c), the GNU GPL refers to the program, but doesn't
>preclude
>its inclusion into a larger, ***nonprogram*** work:
[...]

I think section 2 has a lot to say about this.  Its wording
makes no - and allows no - distinction between programs and
non-programs.  However you may aggregate works together.
So even though documentation and your program are distributed
together, since each can be used independently of the other
I would argue that that is just aggregation.

An interesting precedent that related things shipped together
need not be a single work under the GPL - the text of the GPL
(which is shipped with many GPLed products) has a copyright
that is in no way compatible with being part of a GPLed
whole!

Cheers,
Ben

PS IANAL etc.