Free documentation licenses

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Mon Nov 27 07:26:04 UTC 2000

I am in the process of writing a user manual and did some checking around for
appropriate free licenses. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything suitable.
The GFDL is just too much and contains undesired restrictions. Other licenses
listed on the GNU page were not applicable either, for pretty much the same
reasons listed by RMS. The Nupedia license is also unacceptable for various
reasons. Variations of any of the above might work.

So, any alternatives out there that I missed? I'm thinking of writing my own
if there is no alternative available. In such a case, a very rough draft
follows. I want something short, simple and to the point. I was thinking of
some form of weak copyleft, but I don't know how applicable it would be to a
document since the content would always be available. I'm also wondering
whether an attribution requirement would cause any problems.

---
[Free Text License]
Copyright (c) <YEAR>, <OWNER>
All rights reserved.

Redistribution of this document, with or without modification, is permitted
provided that the following conditions are met:

Redistributions must retain the above copyright notice, this list of
conditions and the following disclaimer.

Redistributions must not misrepresent the authorship of this document.

Neither the name of the author(s) nor the names of its contributors may be
used to endorse or promote products derived from this document without
specific prior written permission.

THIS DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS''
WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE.

--
David Johnson