FreeBSD License

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sat Nov 25 18:34:13 UTC 2000

On Saturday 25 November 2000 04:30 am, Jens Müller wrote:
> Does anyone know under what license the CD set is?
>
> The website says if one wants to sell them, he should buy the originals.
> Is it prohibited to copy and sell them, i.e. are they not OS?

The ISOs might be under a specific license, but the CDs themselves are not,
unlike the typical Linux CD. The individual components have their own
licenses and there is no "umbrella" license over the collection that I can
find. However, the CD as a whole is still under an implicit copyright. You
can't go buy a set then burn identical copies and sell those (ditto for
Redhat, SuSE, and most other Linux distros that include proprietary demos and
stuff).

99% of the CDs are under the open source licenses. The text of the "Complete
FreeBSD" book is included on the CD, but you don't have permission to
redistribute it. There may be a few additional packages in the ports
collection that have a free-but-don't-sell license (such as rogue).

In all cases, however, you are allowed to give/transfer to CD to someone
else. And you can burn 99% of the CDs and distribute those for money.

--
David Johnson