Qt/Embedded

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sat Nov 18 18:49:11 UTC 2000

On Saturday 18 November 2000 04:32 am, kmself at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> You're aquainted with how a linker works?  It's the linking of object
> code plus libraries which creates the machine-code executable.  For a
> dynamically linked program, this step occurs at runtime.  The runtime
> executable *does* contain, in machine code form (see above WRT
> derivative works), the referenced portions of the library.

For a few linkers, maybe. For others no. Though I admit ignorance to the
inner workings of linux-ld, it's my understanding that the application code
in memory only references the library code. The program's space in memory
does not contain the library, only addresses to the library functions. The
linker resolves the symbolic names to actual addresses at runtime. I believe
the situation is the same for all unices, along with DOS/Windows.

--
David Johnson