Choosing the right license

Mark Hatch mhatch at ics.com
Wed Nov 1 19:02:34 UTC 2000

>Nearest thing I can think of is to start off with the GPL, then add a
>rider along the lines of "if you sell this software or derived works, or
>if you sell any service based on this software, then with every fee-
>carrying transaction you must notify the customer of the full text of
>this license, including the phrase IF YOU ARE PAYING FOR THIS SERVICE
>YOU CAN GET THE SOFTWARE THAT SUPPLIES IT FOR FREE AT http://somewhere/".

The intention here sounds similar to the Open Motif Public License (sic)
and the QPL. The OMPL requires royalties for use on non-"open systems" and
the original QPL was open source only for non-commercial uses. The OMPL is
*not* an open source license because of this clause. I've heard mixed
opinions on the QPL, although I've a hard time understanding how it is
different.

Mark
-
Integrated Computer Solutions, Inc.
Visual Development Tools for Professionals

617-621-0060 x108 (voice)
617-621-9555 (fax)

201 Broadway
Cambridge, MA 02139