BSD and OSD

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed May 24 20:30:32 UTC 2000

"W. Yip" wrote:

> I understand this to mean that the copyright holder can charge money for
> the initial first license, but cannot do so for subsequent redistribution
> made by his recipient.

Just so.

> But the BSD enables a licensee to ADD restrictions to redistribution,
> INCLUDING a requirement of payment, does it not?

If the restriction is added to an unmodified copy, then it is pointless,
for one can always go back to the copyright holder for another copy costing $0.
(Unless the copyright holder is dead, out of business, or bored -- the main
objection to the BSD copyright by GPL types.)

If the restriction is added to a modified copy, then all is hunky-dory.
The modified copy is not, of course, Open Source, but why should it be?
The OSD does not require that the copyright owner require that all derived works
are themselves Open Source.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>