"Open Source" Motif

Dj dj at evnull.com
Tue May 16 11:43:41 UTC 2000

Raul Miller wrote:

> But, if you're trying to produce free (aka non-proprietary) software I
> think the GPL winds up being the best license:

Or more accurately, if you are trying to induce people to produce free
software by licensing your software...

> Then again, if your goal is to produce something proprietary, or
> potentially proprietary, the GPL is obviously a bad license to use.

Or to produce something that is "aproprietary" - it doesn't care wether
it is owned or not.

The BSD license has not stopped people doing proprietary development
or free development on BSD'd works. What operates there is the economics
of proprietary branching, where it's cheaper to work with the community
than develop alone.

The real question is do we want an open inclusive community or a parallel-to

-proprietary exclusive community.

I'd like to see Motif opened with eventually a BSD license. And CDE too...
:)

Dj