Using GPL'd software in BSD-licensed app

laurent.duperval at cgi.ca laurent.duperval at cgi.ca
Fri May 12 13:41:11 UTC 2000

On 11 May, David Johnson wrote:
> Whether or not portions (or enough portions) of the original dynamic
> library are included during the compilation process is the true source
> of the controversy. When a well written library is used, the linking
> program will contain nothing more than references.

Ok, so do that mean that my BSD-licensed application, which has code that
looks like this:

# Since GPLcode is licensed under the GPL, I'm not allowed to distribute it.
# You can get it at http://www.foo.com/gplcde
package require GPLcode

is legal and does not ingringe on GPLcode's license?

Also, all the discussions so far have been for shared libs and compiled
code. How does it work for a script, where all the source code is right
there and visible by all?

Laurent Duperval                   "Montreal winters are an intelligence test,
CGI - SARM Project                        and we who are here have failed it."
Phone: (514) 350-3368                                           -Doug Camilli
mailto:laurent.duperval at cgi.ca      Penguin Power!