Shrink-wrap licensing

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Sat May 6 17:57:03 UTC 2000

The software license between the end-user and Micro$oft is not gratuitous.
The archival permission provision of the Copyright Act to which you refer
may prevent MS from claiming that an end-user infringed the company's
copyright when he or she copied the software once to use as a back-up copy,
but that does not mean that an end-user need not PAY for the non-exclusive
right to copy/use the program to begin with. You may recall that copyright
belongs to the copyright holder. Under our narrowly written hypos, the user
has no rights in this regard unless the copyright holder grants him/her a
right (assuming that fair use is inapplicable). Consequently, the user is
getting something of value in exchange for buying the software. The user has
no right to use the software without payment and agreement to the terms of
the license.

Of course, this may not appeal to some of us as just or proper, but that is
the way it is. This should not be surprising when you consider that
copyright law in the United States has been amended by Congress to benefit
those that have the money. clout, and influence to make profitable
copyright-protected works. (Of course, I am not simply speaking of Micro$oft
or software developers!)

I do not want to belabor the point about books. Yes, printed books are
different than information technologies like software. This is the result of
habit and practice, not copyright law. Book publishers certainly could have
sold their books with licenses, if they so desired. To illustrate the point,
observe how e-books are sold. You will notice an interesting thing: e-books
will be licensed, just like software...with many of the same restrictions.
Can you imagine a world with only e-books, which are sold with licenses?

Rod Dixon
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law
Rutgers University School of Law - Camden
www.cyberspaces.org
rod at cyberspaces.org

Chief Counsel
FreeBuyers Net, LLC