Wired Article on the GPL

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Thu Mar 30 21:39:10 UTC 2000

Nils Lohner wrote:

> This does not make sense.  If I bought the software, and the license is
> changed afterwards, I have to abide by a new license?  I would argue that I
> should have to abide by the license under which I bought it as I have never
> had a chance to acept or reject the other license.  Use your imagination to
> add some fun clauses to new license :)  Somehow this does not seem logical,
> reasonable, etc.

Remember that we are talking about the GPL here, not some random proprietary
license.  The GPL grants you permissions to take certain actions provided you
meet certain conditions.  The actions are copying, distributing, and
making derivative works.  You neither accept nor reject the GPL; it grants
you permissions whether you want them or not.

If the copyright owner revokes the permissions, you are probably out of luck.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>