Wired Article on the GPL

W. Yip weng at yours.com
Thu Mar 30 11:59:24 UTC 2000

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:50:02 +1000, Andrew J Bromage
<Andrew.Bromage at its.monash.edu.au> wrote:
>Is it too late to grab a copy of cphack now?  Will I or won't I be able
>to join the inevitable class action for breach of contract against M if
>they _do_ revoke the GPL on cphack if I've obtained my copy after the
>lawsuit was filed?  And are my chances better or worse living in a
>country where we don't have a UCITA?

Class action for *contract* ?

Do I see another issue spawned by the unholy marriage between UCITA and
GPL?

Conventionally, class actions are precluded from contract due to privity.
Only those who are parties to a contract can have standing to sue. The
problem with the UCITA turning every software license into a contract is to
give everyone who is a software licensee the necessary standing to sue?
This seems to result in a 'class action' since a GPL is so easy to obtain!