"Violation"

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Sat Mar 25 02:46:39 UTC 2000

No. You may use the work under the terms of the GPL or not at all. As you
correctly note the copyright is an exclusive right of the copyright holder.
This means you (i.e., the User) have NO rights UNLESS you comply with the
terms  of the license. Now, is it getting clearer why the license is a
contract. (BTW, there is an exception to what I just said, but it is
contained in the Copyright Act and applies to all copyrightable works
regardless of whether a license is used to distribute the work).