Again - How To Break The GPL

Ian Lance Taylor ian at airs.com
Wed Mar 22 16:31:44 UTC 2000

   Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:04:38 +0100
   From: cszigetv <csaba.szigetvari at citicorp.com>

   At the end of this mail is part of an article from OS Opinion about
   TurboLinux' delays the distribution of their modified code, while (as I
   assume) they distribute binaries.

I assume they are distributing the source to their customers.  The
article does not say otherwise.

That is perfectly OK: the GPL requires that you distribute the source
with the binaries (or you make provide a way to get them, etc.), and
it requires that you not impose restrictions on further redistributing
the source.  The GPL does not say that you must distribute the source
to the general public.  I read the article as saying that TurboLinux
will release the source to the general public after two months.

This of course means that a TurboLinux customer could make the source
available to the general public.  If you want to do this, I encourage
you to go ahead.

If TurboLinux is not distributing the source with the binaries, then
they are in clear violation of the GPL.  No delay is permitted.  If
you are certain that this is what they are doing, then you should
contact the FSF.

Ian