How To Break The GPL - Copyright versus Contract

Dennis E. Hamilton infonuovo at email.com
Thu Mar 9 23:44:33 UTC 2000

My apologies for not being clear.  That is all I meant by speaking of EULAs.
They are for purposes other than what is (thought to be) dealt with solely
by copyright.

However, my sense of the GPL is that the Free Software Foundation is relying
only on Copyright for the GPL, and that there is nothing but a conditional
(non-exclusive and royalty free) license of copyright conveyed in the GPL
(apart from the "no warranty" aspects).  It is, after all, touted as the
"copyleft" agreement.

I guess here it is a matter of asking the FSF whether they see themselves as
having accomplished anything else, since when we employ the GPL we appear to
be assigning copyright to the FSF.

How do you see state contract law(s) applying to the GPL?  How do you see it
working outside of U.S. jurisdiction?  Hmm, as I recall, the GPL doesn't
even state an applicable jurisdiction, unlike many EULAs and all contracts I
have ever entered into.

-- Dennis