Should governmnet software be Open Source?

Rick B. Dietz rbdietz at indiana.edu
Wed Mar 8 21:13:49 UTC 2000

The issue to the IRS was not that it was competing with commercial
services, rather it was making interaction with an existing government
beaurocracy easier for citizens for nothing over the internet.  Intuit was
saying, wait a second, we like this ugly bureaucratic mess just the way it
is because we profit from it as an unneccessary middleman.

You seem to suggest that a bureaucracy such as the IRS should not try to
improve its services in light of advances in technology.  That is an
argument for greater centralization, inefficiency and stagnation.

My main point is that Opensourcing gov't software will likely have the
same impact as the gov't making software freely (0$) available.   It will
improve gov't services and efficiency and threaten private interests which
profit from the bloated and less than user friendly interface our
institutions currently present.  If it threatens private interests with
enough cash, opensource in gov't software won't happen.

Rick Dietz