Should governmnet software be Open Source?

Brice, Richard BriceR at WSDOT.WA.GOV
Wed Mar 8 19:17:18 UTC 2000

I would contend that if any level or branch of government has the right to
copyright software, then it is in the best interest of the public to use an
open source license. I say this for all the same reasons one might prefer to
use GPL over not-copyrighting. The benefits of an open source license are
greater than public domain. As a tax payer, I want to maximize my investment
in this nation. If Evil-company makes something I own better, I want access
to the better version so my employees (civil servants) can then make it
better to better serve me and my fellow investor.

Slightly off topic, where would one go about making and FOIA request...

And one last thing... I should have said this up front... I am employed by
the government of the State of Washington. I am a strong proponent of Open
Source Software for government. I develop bridge engineering software, and
have applied an Open Source license to it. I thought that info might be
relevant or at least give you a better picture of where I'm coming from.