How To Break The GPL

David Johnson arandir at meer.net
Mon Mar 6 06:24:27 UTC 2000

On Sat, 04 Mar 2000, Ken Arromdee wrote:

> According to RMS, plugins are *also* derivative works, so both your examples
> would come under the GPL.  (Which produces the odd result that it is legal
> to write a GPL plugin for Internet Explorer but not for Netscape 4, since
> Internet Explorer comes under the system component exception.)

At the risk of not showing proper deference, it doesn't matter much what RMS
believes. He is not infallible. Of course I realize that he is the author of
the license in question. However, he has already professed a strong bias in the
matter. It is his bias that forces me to look elsewhere for objectivity.

--
David Johnson...