How To Break The GPL

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Sun Mar 5 16:34:40 UTC 2000

Well, the 7th Circuit already has disagreed with you and a Uniform law that
many states are about to pass disagrees as well.

See PROCD v. ZEIDENBERG

ARGUED MAY 23, 1996--DECIDED JUNE 20, 1996

"EASTERBROOK, Circuit Judge. Must buyers of computer software obey the terms
of shrinkwrap licenses? The district court held not, for two reasons: first,
they are not contracts because the licenses are inside the box rather than
printed on the outside; second, federal law forbids enforcement even if the
licenses are contracts. 908 F. Supp. 640 (W.D. Wis. 1996). The parties and
numerous amici curiae have briefed many other issues, but these are the only
two that matter--and we disagree with the district judge's conclusion on
each. Shrinkwrap licenses are enforceable unless their terms are
objectionable on grounds applicable to contracts in general (for example, if
they violate a rule of positive law, or if they are un- conscionable).
Because no one argues that the terms of the license at issue here are
troublesome, we remand with instructions to enter judgment for the
plaintiff."

Rod

www.cyberspaces.org
rod at cyberspaces.org