How To Break The GPL

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Sun Mar 5 16:20:11 UTC 2000

Under the law of copyright, a derivative work is an original work of
authorship based on a pre-existing work. If Trent had written a book in
English and Alice translated the book into French, her book would be a
derivative work. Hence, she would have infringed Trent's work unless she had
a license. If Alice created software that allowed Bob to translate Trent's
book without permission, then Bob and Alice would both be infringers (Alice
would be a contributory infringer). The rub is that the GPL permits the
creation of derivative works.

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
www.cyberspaces.org
rod at cyberspaces.org