How To Break The GPL - Direct Functionality versus Copyrighted Expression

Dennis E. Hamilton infonuovo at email.com
Sun Mar 5 15:54:03 UTC 2000

I am concerned that moving this discussion toward "direct functionality" is
completely leaving the domain of Copyright, at least as it has been dealt
with in the United States.  So long as the GPL is solely a license of some
or all of the exclusive rights that are possessed by an owner of a
copyright, we should confine ourselves to copyrightable subject matter.

My sense of this is that it is important to recognize that copyright applies
to *expressions* fixed in tangible forms.  (e.g., an actual source code,
this e-mail note as rendered by a computer, etc.)  Generally, the idea,
procedure, or "function" expressed in a work protected by copyright is not
protected by copyright.  It may be protected by other means, but not
copyright.

In the U.S. copyright history there has also been a principle of utilitarian
necessity.  That is, if the ways of expressing a particular idea or concept
are severely limited, then a court is likely to rule that such expression is
not protected by copyright.  This seems to be so one cannot copyright
language and one cannot use copyright to obtain the power of a patent by
round-about means.  Note that this principle did *not* protect Borland in
the Lotus suit over replication of the Lotus 1-2-3 look-and-feel as a "skin"
for Quattro Pro.  At the same time, it is generally agreed (and tested in
courts a little) that APIs are not protected works from the standpoint of
copyright.

Now, software presents some novel conditions around expression, mention,
usage, and performance.  We run into that in discussions of derivative
works.  It is important to remember that whatever the FSF claims about this
regarding the GPL, this has not, as far as I know, ever been upheld in a
court of law.

Yes, there is a cloud around this because of the lack of a definitive
precedent (as far as I know).  This means that users of GPL's works in
conjunction with non-GPL'd works are appropriately wary.  On the other hand,
relying on this to obtain constraints on the use of a work that may not be
ones right to restrict is not particularly useful either, since this
supposed exclusive right around usage or "co-operation" can vanish in the
twinkling of an eye.

So long as the GPL is solely a copyright license, it cannot assert an
exclusive right that the distributor of the work doesn't possess as a matter
of copyright.  (This is why there *are* EULAs and licenses for the *use* of
commercial software.  Copyright alone is insufficient to prevent
re-engineering and a host of other things that EULA-bound licensees agree
not to perform.)

I just want to suggest being mindful that we are talking about copyrighted
subject matter here and not other things.   When we are discussing a
thin-ice area (e.g., derivative works that don't involve alteration of the
original in any way but depend on the function expressed), it is not prudent
to head farther into the center of the lake for resolution.

-- Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
InfoNuovo
mailto:infonuovo at email.com