How To Break The GPL

Mark Wells mark at pc-intouch.com
Fri Mar 3 19:46:41 UTC 2000

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Forrest J. Cavalier III wrote:

> > I would very much like to hear that there is a flaw in this logic.  If so,
> > where is it?
>
> In my understanding, Alice must not have used the GPL'ed software
> in her design and testing.  It would be very hard to avoid this
> in practice. Claiming to have avoided it, and still distributing
> instructions for Bob to do it, should be regarded with grave
> suspicion.

Alice didn't distribute any actual GPL'd software with her proprietary
code.  Are you saying that the GPL prohibits the _use_ of GPL software in
development of proprietary software?  So I can't use, say, GCC to compile
my non-GPL program?

This is an interesting interpretation, but I'm not sure it's legally
valid.