Design Science License

Terry Hancock hancock at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 24 20:36:35 UTC 2000

Is anyone familiar with this license and/or OSI's
relationship to or opinion of it?

It purports to be a more appropriate "copyleft" license
for artistic work, much in the same spirit as the
GPL, but with some additional protection for the
artistic integrity of a work -- mainly that it forces
name changes for "derivitive works."

The license's author is Michael Stutz, and he has
a page promoting it, as well as the text of the license
at: http://www.dsl.org

I am starting a project at Source Forge using this
license (it's a game -- or more precisely, the _content_
of a game, "The Light Princess" based on the story
by the same name), and I was a little concerned that
the DSL turned out no to be one of the "OSI Approved"
licenses.  I'm afraid this may turn some people away,
thinking that the game is not "open source," when
in fact (IMHO anyway) it is.  On the other hand, I
didn't want to go with the GPL because there's no
protection against the artist's work being modified
in ways the artist would be uncomfortable with.

(Under the GPL, another developer could release,
for example a pornographic version of the original
game -- which is targeted for kids -- under the same
name.  Unsuspecting parents download it and play it,
and it looks like it's my fault.  With the DSL, there
could still be such a version, but they'd have to
change the name -- they couldn't (mis)represent it
as being the original work).

This is my understanding, anyway.  IANAL and all that... :)

Opinion? Comments? Flames? :)

--
Terry Hancock
hancock at earthlink.net