prohibiting use that would result in death or personal injury

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Mon Jul 24 17:16:18 UTC 2000

First of all, there is one fact that you cannot avoid: there are certain
disclaimers that will not stand up in court.

State law usually controls this issue. I represented a client in a contract
dispute and I got the disclaimer my client did not like thrown out fairly
easily. Consumer protection laws, common law, and various state statutes all
provide ways to avoid the impact of a disclaimer.

The bottom line is that doing business requires that some risks be shared by
"buyer" and "seller." The common practice seems to be that many licenses
disclaim as much risk of liability as possible, despite the drafters'
awareness that some of the disclaimers may not be enforceable. This may be
the best approach.

Water rafting may be considered "inherently dangerous," if so, the company's
approach was probably backed by years of experience dealing with lawsuits
for personal injury or death. Similarly, if you do not explicitly forbid use
of your software for life-safety-systems (which is not what you seem to
desire), then you cannot disclaim all risks for this use...even when you
disclose the risks.(Take note of some of the tobacco company lawsuits where
disclosure of the surgeon general's warning means very little today in terms
of avoiding risk of loss). The cost of doing business can be very high, if
you get the wrong jury.

If this is a serious risk for you, you may want to think about offering a
list of disclosures regarding the risks and re-think how "open" you want to
be regarding life-safety-systems.