prohibiting use that would result in death or personal injury

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Sat Jul 22 19:29:56 UTC 2000

Rick,

The contention is, though, that in some jurisdictions, that
disclaimer is NOT valid and enforceable, whereas a "you may not use
IS. (e.g., in those jurisdictions, I can say "you shouldn't do this
because it could kill people", as a disclaimer, but if you do it and
kill someone, I'm conspiratorially liable... whereas if I'd said "If
you're doing this, you MAY NOT use my code", then the person doing
such was violating the license, I had never given permisson for my
stuff to be used to accidentally kill someone, and I'm not liable.

The issue here is NOT preventance of lawsuits -- that's impossible --
but removing the chance of SUCCESS of said lawsuit from causing
adverse effects on the programmer.