prohibiting use that would result in death or personal injury

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Sat Jul 22 16:55:10 UTC 2000

Wow... hadn't thought of that one yet. That's a VERY good point. I
certainly wouldn't want to get sued because some poor schmoe was
using my GPL'ed Perl scripts to monitor his aircraft engines or
something.... :-/

But the ramifications to that argument can be wide-reaching... that
means no OSS installations on "mission-critical" hospital hardware.
No embedded OSS applications in EMT hardware.

If someone can take Linux (for example), and put an application on
top of it, is there a liability to Linus (et al) if the OS causes a
problem in the application, causing, let's say, an advanced
defibrillator to pump out the wrong amount of power?

Making that restriction is entirely "logical" -- why would Linus (or
anyone else) want to open themselves up to that potential lawsuit?
But by the same token (to dip into RMS's domain), why shouldn't the
EMT-Hardware-Company be free [as-in-speech] to use Linux as a base
for their defibrillator product?

[Obviously no such defib exists to my knowledge, I'm just using it as
an example of a potential embedded application.]

It is obvious now, that any product using the GPL has opened its
owner up to liability in the case you've described, and I don't see
the GPL actually getting changed in this regard (it seems it would go
against RMS's moral code for it, and I can acknowledge that side of
the argument).

No clear-cut answers here, but I think the problem is actually much
more insidious than you realized. :)