Directory for open-source software

Steve Mallett steve at opensourcedirectory.com
Sat Dec 9 20:02:21 UTC 2000

Like I said we're still testing.  hehe

Steve

On Sat, 09 Dec 2000, Richard Bondi wrote:
~ I'll register once you have a Web server certificate that is signed by
~ someone other than "Snake Oil, CA"!
~ Best,
~ Richard Bondi
~ www.cryptovb.com
~
~ At 12:30 PM 12/9/2000 -0400, Steve Mallett wrote:
~ >Hello all,
~ >
~ >I know this list is for discussion of licenses, but with some work the subject
~ >of this email (my site) may help eliminate some unecessary traffic on this
~ >list.  For instance, questions like "Is such & such open-source??"
~ >
~ >I'd like to ask for the list member's thoughts on my website concept:
~ >Open-Source Directory (OSD).
~ >
~ >Over the last three months I've created a website whose mission is to
~ >provide a resource for endusers and developers to verify that a package,
~ >consisting of software together with its accompanying license is an
~ >open-source distribution.
~ >
~ >It is/will be a directory of stable open-source software that will list
~ >product's meta-data based on ESR's Trove specs for such data.  For
~ >instance, its
~ >**license**, authors, history of changes, binary/source download address, bug
~ >reporting contacts, dependencies etc..
~ >
~ >We're at www.opensourcedirectory.org   We are still testing, but are
~ >near to doing some announcements. We look a lot like Sourceforge since we use
~ >their GPL'd code.  Their software map has a basis with the Trove specs. To
~ >what
~ >degree I'm not a party to.
~ >
~ >Getting into the long story....I started this after emailing ESR to see if a
~ >directory of open-source software was of use.  He said yes and so here I am
~ >...with some of his helpful input.  (Any screw-ups are totally mine.)
~ >
~ >I have had some discussions over the last few months with some folks in the
~ >community, but let's just say that SourceForge has listed OSD on their page of
~ >folks who use SF code.  After some explantion of OSD's scope & function
~ >(non-developement) everything got smoothed out.  Also I had some discussion
~ >regarding OSD vs. Freshmeat & LinuxApps.  That person came to
~ >agree that we were not redundant since both of these entities focus on Linux
~ >where OSD is indifferent to what platform the pkgs are written for.  So far
~ >these are the two major off-hand comments we've had to clear up.
~ >
~ >Now, we're not totally done. However; we are ready to do the actual job of
~ >listing product meta-data.  Before trying to attract developers of stable
~ >products to list, and while putting on the finishing touches, I'd greatly
~ >appreciate any comments, questions, concerns, assistance..anything from
~ >members
~ >of this list.
~ >
~ >Thank you in advance,