Plan 9 license

Brian Behlendorf brian at collab.net
Tue Aug 29 03:37:04 UTC 2000

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Mark Shewmaker wrote:
> Does anyone have any objections in principle to this sort of demand
> for patent licenses associated with privately-modified source?

I think I've mentioned it before, but I still find the most effective
patent license I've ever heard to be one John Gilmore proposed on the FSB
mailing list.  It is pretty much a "GPL" for patents; it says

  You may use this patent for any reason so long as:

    a) You yourself do not own any patents, or
    b) You agree to license all your patents under this license

I would add a "c":

    c) You contact me for a commercial licensing arrangement.

as an optional thing, since there are many companies who could not live
with a) or b) but would be happy with c).

This system would, just like the GPL, encourage propagation of itself.
It is simple and easy to understand, and leaves an "out" for patent
holders not willing to buy into the anti-patent philosophy (which at the
same time can help *reassure* patent holders that they can use this
regime, if most of their licenses are to other big patent holders).  It
preserves the reason why most companies register patents, which is as a
defensive posture to protect against other patent holders.  In short, it's
brilliant.

And I think it addresses your objectives, Mark.

	Brian