Plan 9 license

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Aug 23 05:22:31 UTC 2000

begin David Johnson quotation:

> Freedom #2 is the freedom to redistribute copies....

As Brian Behlendorf pointed out, this list is concerned with
OSD-compliance, not with anyone's definition of free software.

However, as an aside, I'll note that Stallman's essay
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) is hardly the only
definition -- _if_ one calls it a definition, at all.  If asked for
one such, I'd think first and solely of the Debian Free Software
Guidelines, http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines -- and
refer readers to it.

DFSG provision #1 ("Free Distribution") begins:  "The license of a
Debian component may not restrict any party from selling or giving away
the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution
containing programs from several different sources."

The DFSG are of course substantially identical to the OSD -- which I'll
mention in some forlorn hope of wrestling us back on-topic.

--
Cheers,                                Bad Unabomber!
Rick Moen                              Blowing people all to hell.