Embedded systems & OS/FS

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Aug 22 15:50:30 UTC 2000

Copyright protection subsists in original works of authoriship "fixed in any
tangible medium of expression."  It makes no difference that the tangible
medium is an embedded device in hardware.  The licensee of GPL code must
honor the license terms regardless of whether he embeds the licensed code in
a derivative work on a floppy diskette or on a chip.  Once the final
manufactured product (e.g., a printer) is distributed from the factory, the
distributor or owner (e.g., the wholesaler or end customer) of that printer
can sell it without triggering any further obligations to the original
licensor.  /Larry Rosen