RMS on OpenMotif

Matthew C. Weigel weigel+ at pitt.edu
Tue Aug 22 15:02:55 UTC 2000

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, David Johnson wrote:

> will not be defined by the Windows98 user, but by the typical user of
> Unix (since that is the platform for Motif), who would have a radically
> different perception of what an OS is.

If you're going to get into legal terms, then no, Unix does not have
relevance here, since we're talking about free operating systems, none of
which are Unix(tm).  Yes, they work the same, but no, they're not Unix(tm).
Since clearly Motif runs on them, Motif runs on more than Unix, so Unix
definitions are insufficiently broad.  Aren't there versions of Motif that
run under Windows, too?

We can argue this all day (I've gotten into arguments about definitions
before, too, so I *know* we can argue this all day).  My point is that we
*can* argue it, and we can both make reasonable arguments, at which it comes
down to with which a judge agrees.  Don't leave it up to the lawyers and
judges and jurors involved in a particular case -- just define the terms.

 Matthew Weigel
 Programmer/Student
 weigel+ at pitt.edu