Rebranding OSI.

Ross N. Williams ross at rocksoft.com
Sun Aug 13 07:07:52 UTC 2000

David,

At 9:00 PM -0700 12/8/2000, David Johnson wrote:
>On Sat, 12 Aug 2000, Ross N. Williams wrote:
>
> > What's needed is an animal that represents cooperation.
> >
> > How about an ant?
>
>Aargh! To me an ant does not represent cooperation, it represents
>mindless labor and regimentation, and communism.

And your point is?! :-)

>Plus, it is already
>the mascot for AbiSource. I would feel the same about most other
>colonial insects, including termites and bees.

Termites, eating into the heart of Microsoft! :-)

But somehow bees don't seem appropriate to me. Dunno why.

>But your idea of a mascot is a good one.

Thanks.

>Off the top of my head,
>here's some ideas for cooperation from the animal kingdom:

It's not actually a kingdom; it's an anarchist collective.
Only Leo thinks it's a kingdom; the rest of the animals humour him.

>Wolf. Pack behavior is cooperation, and people don't think of wolves
>as lowly workers tirelessly working for the unseen queen. They actually
>have individual traits, and can survive on their own.

"Oooh granma, what big disks you have."
"All the better to back you up with, my dear."

"Oooh granma, what big CPUs you have."
"All the better to render you fractally with, my dear."

"Oooh granma, what big free software licences you have."
"All the better to sue you with, my dear."

      Grrrrrr! Eeeek!

>Dolphin. Not only to they cooperate, they are also one of the few
>animals that share. And they're intensely individualists (at least
>that's the general perception) while still operating within a community
>of sorts.

Back off man! :-) I've got the dolphin!

Go choose the numbat or something.

>Platypus. Resurrect the old Linux mascot from the dustbin of obscurity.
>It represents many different parts pieced together into a whole. And
>it's easy to create a cartoonish and friendly image from.

I like this one, but I'm not sure they're terribly cooperative or
social creatures. Every time some naturalist finds one, it's the
only one within 2000 miles and they get a Nobel prize for finding it.
As far as anyone knows, platypuses breed using mail-order IVF.

>And some non-serious ideas :-)
>
>Remora. Hitching a free ride off of others.
>
>Porcupine. Aptly suits the hacker stereotype.

Yes; both have difficulty getting laid.

Ross.

Dr Ross N. Williams (ross at rocksoft.com), +61 8 8232-6262 (fax-6264).
Director, Rocksoft Pty Ltd, Adelaide, Australia: http://www.rocksoft.com/