Serious trademark trouble.

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sun Aug 13 02:54:10 UTC 2000

David Johnson writes:
 > At one time there was talk about Open Source certification. Is this
 > still being considered? A trademark may not be possible, but a
 > certification would be the next best thing.

We had always planned on registering Open Source as a certification
mark.  In fact, such an application was filed, and initially returned
for reconsideration.  No action was taken on that, and the applicaton
timed out.  After due consideration and experience, we decided that
defending the mark was beyond the means of most ordinary mortals.

We have since created the OSI Certified open source certification
mark.  We've had no trouble defending that mark.

--
-russ nelson <sig at russnelson.com>  http://russnelson.com  | If you think
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | health care is expensive now