Serious trademark trouble.

Ean R . Schuessler ean at brainfood.com
Sat Aug 12 20:27:19 UTC 2000

My understanding is that the validity of trademarks stands on an
organization's consistent use and regular defense of a term in the course
of commerce. The longer this mark stands formally unchallenged, the more
difficult it will become to unseat it. If this company develops products,
packaging, advertising and other evidence of commerce and can show use in
various markets this will also increase the viability of the mark.

The failure of SPI and OSI to work out an understanding with the mark will,
if anything, work to the disadvantage of an attorney saddled with fixing
this situation. Not that I'm a lawyer.