Abandonment

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Fri Aug 11 02:29:58 UTC 2000

At the outset I think your hypos generally indicate exactly why  a system
that characterizes works in the public domain only by operation of law is
superior, in clarity and consistency, than systems that permit works to
enter the public domain by general declarations or vague dedications.
Generalized attempts to *push* works into the public domain by unrecorded
dedications do not serve the public interest well.

I think the public will not be inclined to freely use works that present
hair-splitting questions regarding their public domain status.  Trying to
*push* works into the public domain in this manner actually discourages use
of such works rather than enhancing the public domain because it becomes
unduly burdensome to determine whether a work has successfully entered the
public domain. Your hypos sem to illustrate this point quite nicely. (Was
that your intent?)  In this regard, open source licensing offers a better
solution than the declarations presented in your hypos because the licenses
do not confuse the status of the works.

Hypo 3 looks like a typical copyright infringement claim. If Roe is a
copyright holder, he has the exclusive rights to control his bundle of
copyright interests. It is unclear whether you were attempting to show
abandonment or forfeiture. Even so, the formailties of the 1909 Copyright
Act no longer apply. As long as Roe has filed a registration with the
Copyright Office, his suit will not be dismissed on the basis of the facts
in hypo 3.  I agree with you in hypo 1.  Doe's copyright infringement suit
probably gets tossed by the court. Doe cannot make a showing that he is the
copyright holder, if the transfer was not recorded. If we have competing
filings, then the court will look to see which one was filed first. I raise
an eyebrow as to whether the "Copyright-Office registered affidavit" is a
competing document i.e. probative of abandonment. As for hypo 2, it is not
exactly clear who Doe is or on what basis he brings suit. Presumably, Roe
transferred his exclusive interests to Doe after he ostensibly transferred
those interests to the public domain (through a dedication)? Roe is clearly
crazy. But, more to the point, once a work *enters* the public domain, it
stays there. Hence, Doe's infringement suit would be dismissed, if a court
could be convinced that a work could enter the public domain in the manner
that Roe has attempted.