License Approval Process

lrosen at rosenlaw.com lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Aug 10 04:03:37 UTC 2000

I am sorry that your experience was so bad.  However, I don't recall sending
you a previous reply, and it is certainly not my habit to send mail without
a signoff signature.  Are you sure it was from me?  I'm also sorry that I
didn't find your earlier license submission, but if you re-post it I'll add
it to the list.

As for the "pedigree of corporate backing," that is not what is important to
OSI.  What I personally believe is important (although in this I don't speak
for the board) is that OSI prioritize licenses so that the software with the
widest distribution, or with the greatest visibility, have approved open
source licenses.  I also think it is important that OSI give priority to
important new ways and concepts of licensing that may influence larger parts
of the open source community.  You'll note, however, that my earlier email
didn't attempt to impose my views of what priorities are important, but
instead asked for input from the community.  So please feel free to suggest
priorities for that long list of pending licenses.  We simply can't review
them all at once!

/Larry Rosen