Does linux use GPL or not??

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Wed Aug 9 03:10:42 UTC 2000

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000, SamBC wrote:

> > Sorry, but I have to point this out because it is misleading, if you buy a
> > boxed set of RH software, and go about duplicating it, then selling it, I
> > am afraid your are breaking the law , RH does not give anyone the right to
> > duplicate its boxed set AFAIK and understand, ask   legal at redhat.com
>
> If you duplicate the printed media (manuals) this is illegal. However, the
> CD-ROM in *most* box-set is the same as the downloadable ISO, so you can
> copy it freely as the content (which is all you copy) is GPL'd. Of course,
> in the case of some distro's one or more CD-ROM edition has non-GPL
> components included, and these may not be copied.

The Redhat boxed set contains proprietary and non-redistributable
software (and some proprietary but still redistributable software). I
had overlooked this in my earlier post, as I have never acquired Redhat
from anywhere other than Cheapbytes :-)

But to quibble even more, *every* distribution contains non-GPL
components, the most prominant of which is XFree86. Dozens or hundreds
of others exist in all distros.

> > You can however duplicate the downloadable ISO till your hearts content,
> > you would still have to be careful of word usage when selling though
>
> You could say "RedHat Linux 6.2 GPL", just don't use the word 'Official',
> which implies they get the technical support.

I seem to recall that Redhat was urging distributors not to use the
"Redhat GPL" wording. (I can't remember what wording they
did want) Personally, I never liked the "GPL" suffix, as it implies that
everything included is under the GPL. "GPL" should not be used as a
synonym for "redistributable".

> > Also I really wish people did interpret free as "freedom" not free as in
> > "free lunch" or "beer"
>
> Yes, people are free to do what they want with it - including copy & sell
> it, as long as it is all GPL'd, as it is in many distributions (eg Debian)

[sputter - sputter - choking on my Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - sputter]

You cannot do whatever you want with GPL software... Only public domain
has that distinction, and even there you can't claim authorship.

--
David Johnson