Does linux use GPL or not??

SamBC sambc at nights.force9.co.uk
Tue Aug 8 16:59:04 UTC 2000

<SNIP>

> What about the other version of Linux (like RedHat, Slackware, etc.)?
> Can we say that the Kernel of the Linux have been changed?

They do not modify the kernel (except for the odd proprietary patch which is
unusual). However, they distribute under the GPL also (mostly), and they
charge for documentation, support, and media, not for the software itself

> In some countries, the copyright is some of the most frequently violated.
> Most of the microsoft (and other commercial software..) are pirated.
> Have you heard about Linux pirated??

The only way Linux would be pirated was if someone tried to distribute it
with different license terms, which they wouldn't want to do anyway. Copying
it as much as you like is perfectly legal. That's one of the points of free
software and opensource!!

SamBC