Public Domain and liability

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Tue Aug 8 03:26:40 UTC 2000

Good point, John. I was thinking more in terms of works being "released to
the public domain" by expiration of copyright or some other operation of
law. You are exactly correct. The federal government cannot claim copyright
to its own works so those works are public domain works at their inception
under copyright law (one caution: a patent may be obtained).

As a practical matter and aside from military or national security uses, the
Federal government acts as a market player (rather than a software
developer) so the vast majority of software programs used by or created for
the Federal government are works licensed to the government from private
sector sources and university research. Of course, these works usually do
not by operation of law immediately become public domain works.

Rod