Interpreters

Terry Hancock hancock at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 4 19:56:38 UTC 2000

Hi,
I suppose this might be in a FAQ somewhere, but
I haven't found it yet:

Should a Free interpreter intended to be able to
run proprietary programs be covered under the
GPL or the LGPL?

Obviously, we want development on the interpreter
itself to remain Free, but we want people to be
able to write proprietary (or Free) works to run
on it.

There's also a certain amount of compiled resources
which should definitely be released as LGPL, but
we'd like to keep the whole thing in one
distribution.

Specific details: this is a game interpreter for
adventure games written with Inform with some
library extensions (provided with the interpreter)
to interface with the graphical part of the
interpreter. (Strictly speaking, they are include
files rather than libraries, but in any case, they
become part of the (potentially) proprietary
software.

Thanks!

--
Terry Hancock