Proposed license from AT&T

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Sat Apr 29 14:24:36 UTC 2000

I agree that the ATT license is a bit legalistic and could be written in
clearer language, but there is much to be learned from there draft. It is
written so that a court will enforce it, and that is not a bad idea for open
source licenses.

The ATT license appears to be a public license for free software, but the
grant of rights is not explicitly irrevocable, which is always troubling for
free software projects. The lack of an irrevocable grant of rights is
compounded by another downside; namely, that the ATT license has no
copyleft.

Rod Dixon
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law
Rutgers University School of Law