Simple Public License, v0.20

Justin Wells jread at semiotek.com
Wed Apr 26 13:24:29 UTC 2000

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 06:48:19AM -0400, Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. wrote:
> Well, these points all point to the problem areas of using the word
> "depend." John's point seems to point out another troublesome matter that
> the GPL language avoided. In fact, there are a number of reasons why a
> special exception for an OS is quite appropriate.

I defined "depend" later on in the license to mean this:

     Software "depends on" additional software if it is fully
     functional only when that additional software is present.

My intention is that software does not "depend" on an OS just because it
works on a non-free OS. It would only depend on that OS if it has
functionality there that it does not have on a free platform.

If the patch added new functionality that only worked on the non-free OS,
then in order to distribute that patch the vendor would also have to
add that functionality for free platforms as well.

Justin