Apache v. GPL

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Wed Apr 12 01:41:35 UTC 2000

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Andrew J Bromage wrote:

> Of course the copyright holder does not rely on any permissions in
> order to distribute their own code.  If I create GPL'd code which I
> attempt to combine with pre-existing Apache-licensed code, I am not
> bound by the GPL on my own code.  That suggests that for me the two
> licenses are "compatible", doesn't it?  I may have effectively stopped
> others from redistributing my code, of course, but that's my fault for
> choosing an "incompatible" licence.

But you haven't stopped anyone else from distributing your code :-)

The fact that you have given me the code with a license that says I can
redistribute it is good enough for me. It would be pointless for you to
allow anything else. I mean, if you do not intend for me to
redistribute it, then why in heck did you go to all the work of telling
me I could?

You don't need an exception clause, your actions speak for themselves.

--
David Johnson