Concurrent Licenses?

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Tue Apr 11 05:08:11 UTC 2000

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, W. Yip wrote:

> Do these licenses pertain to the relevant bits of the work? For instance,
> s.1 +2 gives license to A's source code base, while s.6 gives license to
> B's derivative 'bits'? Or are they the same license?

If B code is significant and copyrighted by B, then there are two
licenses. A does not own B's code. The confusion arises out of the fact
that B's code is derivative of A's. B is fully entitled to separate his
"bits" out and distribute them as a distinct work, even under a
different license. However, the combined work (A's bits and B's bits)
has to follow A's license (as I understand it).

--
David Johnson