Simple Public License, Please Review

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Thu Apr 6 03:38:34 UTC 2000

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
www.cyberspaces.org
rod at cyberspaces.org

OK, I now understand what you are trying to do. I am concerned that these
holes you want to knock in your copyleft may turn out to be extraordinarily
large. A "consultant" or a "contractor" are terms with no legal significance
in your license. Of course, it may be too burdensome to define the terms in
your license. I recommend inserting a statement permitting individuals to
seek a contractor or consultant license from you.

> > Also, please do not forget to explain your use of the term
> > "unmodified" in section 1. It is confusing.
>
> What I mean in section 1 (and in section 5) is that you can redistribute
> the software exactly as you received it, including everything.
>
> In section 2 what I mean by "unmodified" is that you can build derived
> works using my original software, providing you don't have to change my
> original in order to create the derived work, except that you can compile
> it into a binary form.

This is not clear. You cannot use a term in two distinct ways in the same
contract. Courts may pick one of the emanings for you, if you face legal
challenges to your license. I would stick with the meaning provided in
section 2.