GPL disclaimer invalid?

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Sat Apr 1 17:30:36 UTC 2000

No. The GPL's terms mean it governs only 3 of the possible 5 rights included
in the bundle of copyright. The five are: display, copy, public performance,
derivative work (in the GPL, the term is the inartful term, modification),
and distribution. The GPL is silent on display and public performance. Why?
I suspect someone thought these rights were not important. They are now, if
the work is of a certain type..e.g., games or multimedia. One could also
argue that moral rights are in the GPL, and apply if the license is enforced
in places that extensively recognize such rights (e.g., the UK).

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
www.cyberspaces.org
rod at cyberspaces.org