RFC: "Artistic license" for Frontier scripting (repost)

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Fri Sep 24 19:49:49 UTC 1999

Samuel Reynolds scripsit:

> What I want:

[...]

> o  Anyone can distribute my package without changes, provided
>    it retains the original copyright statement.
> o  Nobody can sell my package (unless they make separate
>    arrangements with me).

The trick here is that distribution often looks like selling.
Do you *want* to prohibit distributors from putting your stuff
on a CD with a Linux or FreeBSD distribution?  That distribution
is "sold" even though the stuff on it is available elsewhere.

Or is what you want to prevent people from making and selling
*closed-source* software derived from your package?

Or something else?

John Cowan                                   cowan at ccil.org
       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin