license-review mailing list

Justin Wells jread at fever.semiotek.com
Thu Sep 23 16:58:16 UTC 1999

I'm not sure there is any good way to cover up the fact that the
opensource and free software movement is a collection of individuals
with independent personalities and viewpoints, that sometimes
conflict, rather than a corporation with a marketting department
and project managers.

Understandably, corporations that are used to dealing with project
managers and marketting departments are going to be somewhat shocked
to see the internal politics of the OSS/free-software movement
paraded about in public--but I think that is in fact part of the
OSS/free-software world.

I think what's happening here is better described as culture shock.
We don't act like a corporation, and that's shocking to some people.

  - - -

I also understand that some people simply want to see their license
commentary, and not bother with the rest. I still haven't heard a
convincing explanation as to why a threaded web-archive of the list
wouldn't suffice.

Then ATT (say) wouldn't even have to subscribe to this list: they could
just submit their license, and then track the discussion on a website.
This is easier for them (many people don't know how to subscribe to
a mailing list) and presents the information in a way that makes it
easy to avoid the stuff they're not interested in.

Since it would be threaded, they would only have to read messages that
have

    Subject: ATT License

in the message header, and a web interface makes this convenient.

I will volunteer to set up the archive if nobody else can do it.

Justin