How about license-review at opensource.org?

mark at pc-intouch.com mark at pc-intouch.com
Tue Sep 21 17:31:57 UTC 1999

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Justin Wells wrote:

> Perhaps what is needed is a mechanism by which reviewees can browse the
> content they are interested in, without having their mailbox fill up.
>
> There are several ways to do this:
>
>    -- provide a digest version of the list in addition to the regular list
>
>    -- provide a threaded browseable web archive

Another option that's been fairly successful on some lists is dividing the
list into 'topics'.  Someone proposing a license for review could
subscribe to, say, the LICENSE-REVIEW topic, and not get an inbox full of
general chatter.  The advantage over splitting it into multiple lists is
that when a thread starts to go off-topic, it's easy to change the
Subject: line to put it in a different topic category.

A more refined way to do this would be to create a new topic for *each*
proposed license.  That way, someone proposing the "New and Improved GPL"
would subscribe to the NIGPL topic.  This provides an especially nice way
to organize the archives.

Now all we need is (a) someone to implement this, and (b) a way to
encourage people who have drifted away from the original topic to change
their topic other than twenty people jumping on them and posting messages
to the list under the original topic telling them to change the topic.